Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Dance Party!

When we were in Santo Domingo we had the great experience of visiting the Tschila community. There are only about 700 members of this community left in the world. We learned a lot about their culture and how they're trying to preserve their traditions while accepting technology and the changing world. We had a great time learning about their culture and experiencing a ceremony performed by their Shaman. After our tour, the community performed a dance for us and it was amazing! We have Kurstin's thoughts about the children of Ecuador and a short video for you!

We couldn't upload the video to our blog however, we have all the videos from our trip uploaded (in higher quality) on YouTube!

View today's video here!


Kurstin:

"¡Los Niños!

Before leaving for Ecuador, my friends, family, and I had this ongoing joke that I was going to find an adorable little child, and bring them back to Whitewater with me in my suitcase! Little did I know…I would seriously be contemplating this!

Being in the orphanage was such an amazing experience. All of the children were so much fun and so cute! But one child will forever stay with me. Mario was a one year old boy who was taken away from his alcoholic mother. He was in “isolation” and could not be in the same room or play with the other kids, because his mother had passed Hepatitis B to him. But I was in love. I only spent such a small amount of time with him, but if I could I would have brought him home with me! He was such a happy child, and is probably too young to realize what’s going on in his life right now. Even though he didn’t make it in my suitcase, he definitely made it in my heart. But he was not the only one!

I thought that I was only going to have connections with the young niños, and I had no idea that the teenagers of Yachana Technical High School would impact me so much. The students have so much passion for learning, and improving. They have amazing work ethic and it shows just in their personalities and seeing them in action at the lodge. A guy named Henry was in my scavenger hunt group and he may not know it, but he has changed my outlook on many things. I learned that Henry walks to Yachana High there and back for each session of this schooling—FOR SIX HOURS…THROUGH THE JUNGLE. I was shocked. He goes through all of that to get his education, and to think of all the things I have complained about. Meeting Henry, and learning about his dedication to learn has really changed my attitude and strengthen my appreciation for the life that has been given to me.

The children at Rio Muchacho were AWESOME! I loved being able to speak Spanish to them and joke around with them. I instructed a group of kids to make the flower art project and they got straight to work. A young boy David insisted on making me a flower with my name on it. It was really fun, and I enjoyed playing with them all. Before I left, a few of the kids cut out little hearts and colored them for me. I could have stayed with them for the whole two weeks!

Unfortunately Mario, Henry, nor any other niños made it back to Whitewater with me, but trust me when I say that they will never be forgotten, and I will always remember this experience and how much it has changed me as a person."








No comments:

Post a Comment