Monday, January 9, 2012

On the road again!

We started the day in Quito with a quick breakfast and a trip to finally get Angie's luggage! Horray! Then we hopped on the bus and headed for the coast. It was a very relaxing and beautiful ride filled with card games and trips through some very small towns.

We decided to stop for lunch on the coast. The view was great and it was nice to walk on the beach and put our feet in the water. Very refreshing after 6 hours of driving.

After dinner we encountered a small road block. There was a detour and the bridge was out on the "detour road." We waited almost an hour and a half for the workers to finish filling in the bridge. It was very interesting to see construction workers wearing only their swim trunks while trying to fix the bridge. Then we still had a two hour drive to Canoa.

However, we arrived safe and sound. Today we have student thoughts from Jean about her trip thus far!

"At first when coming I was very nervous and found myself missing my family even before I left. The thought of not having clear communication with my close friends was nerve racking as well. It honestly took me two days to find myself settling into the culture a lot. After I got more comfortable, I was able to relax and begin to really embrace the culture. Thinking that this trip would be difficult without technology, it has turned out to be very helpful not to have to rely on a cell phone or facebook. Going to the Yachana High School and making connections gives me a relationship and almost a desire to stay longer and build relationship."

No comments:

Post a Comment